In partnership with Recycle Smart (Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority) and Mt. Diablo Recycling, the Depot diverts approximately 60 tons of clothing and household goods from the landfill and sends them to Bay Area homeless shelters, farm workers in the Sacramento Valley, and victims of natural disasters. This program has distributed shoes, clothing and other humanitarian aid supplies to crisis areas in and throughout the country as well as Afghanistan & Pakistan.
We supported the local chapter of the Sierra Club and their Oakland Tree Planting Project in 2013, by funding the planting of 150 trees in North Oakland. They continue their urban forestry program and can be contacted at http://www.sierraclub.org/san-francisco-bay/tree-planting for more information or to request a tree.
A few local recipients of donated goods:
- Emeryville Community Action Program (Clothes/Household items)
- Concord Goodwill (Clothes)
- Waterside Workshop (Bikes)
- Discovery House (Clothes/shoes/ Baby clothes)
- Contra Costa CPS (suitcases, misc items)
- Divine Guidance Outreach (Clothes, Bike, exercise equip)
- Non Profit Soccer Club, Orinda (Shoes)
- Interfaith Coalition (Furniture)
- Trinity Center (Clothes)
The Depot continues to thrive and grow through the financial support of StopWaste.org, The Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority, The West Contra Costa Integrated Waste Management Authority, The Altamont Education Advisory Board, The Marguerite Casey Foundation and The Safeway Foundation.